Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Homeschooling without parents

Who's responsibility  is to to administer homeschooling?  Some people that I spoke to say that it is the parents' responsibility.  There's a certain logic to that.  I might want to stay home with my kids to teach them and share my values and love with them.  Most parents, specifically mothers, do the homeschooling.  What I've come to find out is that in states like Illinois, anyone can do the homeschooling.  It doesn't have to be a parent.  it can be a relative, or someone off the street.  It seems to me that if I want a stranger, or someone other than a parent doing the homeschooling, then the kids should just go to school (yes, that's my answer to most homeschool problems).

The reason that I write about this particular subject is that I am in a position where I may be unemployed in two weeks.  My intention is to continue looking for a job until I can find another full-time position.  Another way that I could use my time while unemployed is to spend extra time with my kids and teach them a couple days a week.  That way, I can get a good idea of the curriculum, that their mother picked out, is like.  I could also work on creating an integrating social activities into the boys lives (something they miss out on since they aren't in school).  The problem is that my former wife, who promised (in court) to work with me and the kid's homeschooling, refuses see the benefit of having me, the kids' dad, deeply involved in the kid's education.  I'd have more involvement with the kids education if they were in school.  At the least the teachers and administrators wouldn't be biased against me and prevent me from being involved in kids education. 

I'm ranting.  I have no answers right now.  Using homeschooling to micro-manage and control the kids lives and prevent their father from being an integral part of the process is wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment