Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fair & Balanced

Unlike Fox news, I have a tendency to look at multiple sides of an issue or debate. Yes, I have my preferences and personal opinions.  Heck, sometimes I even see things as black and white.  With that said, I strive to look at alternate viewpoints and consider their arguments and perspectives.  I may not agree but there's a good chance that I can learn something.  It seems easy and comfortable to stick to one side of an argument.  Dealing that way with others can lead to strong arguments, a lack of cooperation and having two people that dislike each other because their need to be right is stronger than their need to get along.

What does this have to do with public schooling versus homeschooling?  This is a reminder to myself that while I prefer public schooling, especially for my kids, that my perspective isn't the holy truth.  I know a number of homeschool parents and kids that do better and worse with the process.  The same could be said for kids in public schools. 

With all that said, my goal is to provoke constructive discourse.  I prefer public schools and others may not.  There's good and bad to both sides.  A topic for another day is how to get two parents with opposing views to work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment