Monday, July 25, 2011

Removing Bias regarding my kids education

As a single dad, I want to be aware of what my kids are studying school, receive progress reports, meet regularly with the teachers, and be reasonably sure that my kids teachers aren't talking about me behind my back or hindering my relationship with my kids.

It baffles my mind that a judge ordered that a relative of my former spouse that admitted that she's hostile towards me will spend over 40 hours a week educating my kids, with no direct supervision or oversight.  In schools, there's other teachers, administration and student around.  In a homeschool environment, there are no such safe guards.

Somehow I have to swallow my pride, and dis-ease regarding the dissolution of my former marriage and work daily or weekly with this person regarding the education of our children.  Perhaps this is a way of improving my negotiating and conflict resolution skills by staying intimately involved with an former spouse so I can keep tabs of what our kids are learning or not learning, great.  I'd much prefer that the kids are in public school, where I can have access to what's going on with their education without dealing with teachers that are hostile or, at best, biased against me.

Future topic:  Where is the oversight if the kids get sick or need specialized attention that professionals at a school can provide that mom or auntie may simply ignore?

No comments:

Post a Comment